If you are tired of relying on glasses or contact lenses to see clearly, consider having LASIK surgery. This is a laser surgical procedure that reshapes the cornea, correcting refractive errors. These errors include nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism. Dr. Urias at Urias Eyecare provides pre-op and post-op care for patients that choose LASIK as their form of vision correction. If you live in Midland, Odessa, or the surrounding areas, contact our team today to schedule an appointment.
Candidates For LASIK
If you are nearsighted, farsighted, or have astigmatism, LASIK is a great option for you. To be a good candidate, your prescription must fit within the prescription perimeters:
- If you are nearsighted, your prescription can be no higher than -12.00.
- If you are farsighted, your prescription can be no higher than +6.00.
- If you have astigmatism, your prescription can be no higher than 6 diopters.
Other factors would make you a poor candidate for LASIK, including:
- You are under 18 years old.
- Your prescription has not been stable for at least two years.
- You have a disease of the eye, such as dry eye syndrome, glaucoma, cataracts, macular degeneration, or diabetic retinopathy.
- You have health issues such as diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, or other auto-immune diseases.
- You take medication that lists dry eye as a side effect, such as birth control, acne medication, and certain steroids.
Is LASIK Surgery Painful?
You will remain awake during the procedure and it is relatively painless. The eye doctor will use numbing eye drops so you will not feel anything. Some people feel pressure after the procedure, and some have a gritty sensation in their eye that can last a few hours after the procedure.
Restrictions After LASIK
Avoid reading, watching TV, using a computer, or doing anything that strains the eyes on the day of the procedure. Most people can go to school or work the day after the procedure. Avoid swimming in a chlorinated pool for a week, and after a week, be sure to wear goggles. You will also want to wait two weeks before using a hot tub or swimming in natural bodies of water.
Get Quality Eye Care at Urias Eyecare
If you are considering LASIK and live in or around Midland or Odessa, contact our optometrist at Urias Eyecare. We will provide all of your pre-op and post-op care for your procedure. Call our team today at (432) 368-4102 or reach us through our website by using our online contact form.